This drink from beets is an old fermented drink with a healing effect, which was widely used in Russia and Ukraine. It was initially made from old wheat or rye bread, but later they started making it from beets and other fruits. The healing power of fermented beets is multiple:
- It purifies the blood
- Helps cleanse the liver
- It helps digestion of food, it is rich in probiotics
- Helps arrange the stool
- The beetroot is rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium, folate, vitamin C, etc.
How to make fermented beets
- A jar of 2.5-3 liters
- About 1 kg of beets
- 1 tablespoon sea unrefined salt
- 60 ml (4 tablespoons) of whey
- Filtered or spring water
Preparation of fermented beets
- Peel the washed beets and slice them into small cubes about 1.5-2 cm in size. Do not grate the beets or slice more thinly, because the sugar is released abruptly in the liquid and instead of the lactic acid fermentation you need, the process will turn into alcoholic fermentation. The jar should be well washed, as well as the entire appliance you use to prevent contamination of the material with undesired bacteria.
- Place the chopped beets in the jar, add salt, whey and fill the jar with filtered or spring water (no chlorine). Leave an empty space of approximately 2 fingers.
- Cover the jar with gauze and keep it for 2 days at room temperature, away from direct light.
- If the surface has white foam or a cloth, remove it and throw it away.
- After spending two days, put the jar in the fridge and drink
120 ml in the morning and in the evening.
- The drink has a refreshing taste, a smell of beets and it will be slightly fizzy.
After you have taken the drink, with the same beets you can make another round, adding again whey and salt, and you can use a cup of drink from the previous round as a helping agent. Note that the second round of drink will be somewhat weaker.
If you do not want to use whey, you can substitute your whey by placing twice as much salt. But in that case the fermentation will last longer: about 7-8 days.